This is a fantastic sandwich.
I am tempted to leave it at that, but well…I find it hard to shut up about food you guys. I’m guessing you probably already figured that out.
It is one of my absolute favourite ways to utilise leftover roast/rotisserie chicken for a super simple and delicious fuss-free weekday dinner that is sure to please most tastebuds.
The ingredients just make sense; chicken, pesto (hint: now is the perfect time to make my homemade Pesto), sun-dried tomatoes, arugula (rocket) and cheese all wrapped up together in a bundle of yumminess and toasted till melty inside and crispy outside…I mean, how bad can that be, right?
It is one of those trusty back-pocket recipes I like to pull out when I simply can’t be bothered to be creative and just want something delicious and easy that’s been tried and tested, similar to this stir fry, this frittata and this one-pot-wonder.
You can make this in any sort of bread you like, but I just love using these super thin and light spelt/rye wraps I am utterly addicted to. If you live in Australia, you must’ve heard of Mountain Bread wraps. They are AWESOME. No nasties or questionable ingredients, just whole-grain flours, water and salt. That’s it!
Of course, any bread will work, but I recommend a “wrappable” kind, like pita bread or tortillas for maximum hold-ability. Brushing the wraps with a bit of olive oil and toasting in a sandwich maker (or even in a non-stick pan on the stove) for a couple of minutes makes the sandwich lovely and crispy brown on the outside while gooey and cheesy on the inside. SO satisfying!
So tell me guys, what are your favourite sandwich fillings?
Chicken & Pesto Wraps
- ½ cooked chicken, meat shredded. Leftover roast/rotisserie chicken works great her, or you can simply cook a couple of chicken breasts in a hot pan then shred.
- 4 tbsp pesto
- 150 g tomatoes semi or fully sundried, thinly sliced
- 4 slices slices of melty cheese I like using cheddar, Swiss or parmesan
- 2 handfuls rocket (arugula) leaves
- 4 tortillas/wraps/thin pita bread
- olive oil for brushing
- In a bowl, mix the shredded chicken with the pesto. Assemble the sandwiches by placing one slice of cheese on each wrap, followed by a fourth of the chicken, fourth of the rocket and a fourth of the sundried tomato. Wrap up tightly.
- Brush each sandwich lightly with a bit of olive oil and toast for a couple of minutes in a hot sandwich maker (Panini toaster) or in a hot non-stick pan on medium heat. Enjoy!
Find my Classic Basil Pesto Recipe here
My name is Noha.
I’m passionate about food, an avid traveler, and I love to explore new cultures and cuisines whenever I get the chance by sharing my recipes and experiences with my readers.
A big fan of exploring different cuisines and always looking for new and exciting flavors to explore. I’m especially interested in healthy eating and finding ways to make delicious dishes without sacrificing nutrition.