Harissa & Citrus Roast Chicken
- 1 whole orange sliced into ½ cm rounds crosswise
- 1 whole lemon sliced into ½ cm rounds crosswise
- 1 whole chicken (about 1.5kg), halved or spatchcocked*
FOR THE MARINADE:
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1-2 cloves cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp salt
- Grease a suitable baking dish with olive oil. Arrange the orange and lemon slices in one layer on the bottom of the dish. Place the chicken, skin-side-up, on top of the lemon & orange slices. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or jug, whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade. Pour it all over the chicken in the pan. Cover and leave it to marinate in the fridge for half an hour up to overnight.
- Half an hour before you are ready to cook the chicken, take it out of the fridge to rest and preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (390F).
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked through and skin is golden. If at 25 minutes the skin is still not browning, turn on the broiler (upper grill in the oven) for the final 10 minutes or so. If your broiler is separate from your oven, finish cooking the chicken normally in the oven, then transfer to your preheated broiler just for 5-10 minutes or until skin is brown. Serve with Pearl Couscous & Citrus salad (recipe link below), or salad/vegetables of choice.
* Check the videos I’ve linked to above in the blog post to learn how to easily halve/spatchcock a chicken. If you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself, just ask your butcher to do it for you. You could also roast the chicken whole, but you will need to adjust the cooking time to about 1-1 ½ hours, depending on the size of your chicken.
Calories: 491kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 36gFat: 36gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 7gMonounsaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 1879mgPotassium: 380mgFiber: 0.1gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 276IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!